Make use of this seasons windfall and treat yourself!
We cooked this recipe using Garden Belle pears (a dwarfing variety) that hold their shape well when cooked, but it also works well with Beurre bosc (other varieties will still taste delicious but may not hold their shape as well).
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 ripe pears (halved and cored)
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- vanilla ice cream
- Lightly toast star anise and cinnamon in a frying pan on a gentle heat.
- Add half the sugar and allow to slowly melt. Place pears face down and press down gently.
- Add butter, the rest of the sugar and 1-2 tbsp of water(enough to create a sauce, the amount of water can vary depending on how juicy the pears are).
- Allow to gently simmer. Carefully stir the sauce and move the pears around to ensure there are no lumps of sugar. As it cooks, drip some of the sauce over the pears, ensuring they are fully covered in sauce. Add more water if the sauce is in danger of drying out.
- Cook until sauce is smooth or until pears are soft.
- Serve pears on with high-quality vanilla ice cream and drizzle sauce over the pears and the ice cream.