Leek and Chicken Pie
02 Jun, 2021
500g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
2 small leeks, washed and finely sliced
1 tsp each salt and pepper
2 tbsp plain flour
150ml single cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
small handful tarragon, diced
350g puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
- Place leek, chicken, milk, salt and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool, straining the milk into a jug.
- Put the chicken and leeks into a large bowl and using two forks, tear chicken apart into smaller chunks.
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake.
- Return the pan to the heat and heat the butter until melted.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir for three minutes, making sure not to brown the butter.
- Gradually add the strained milk, while stirring, until you have created a sauce.
- Add the cream and mustard. Stir in well.
- Lastly, add the chicken and leek back into the pan along with the diced tarragon, stir, and cook for a few minutes before removing the pan from the heat. Cool slightly.
- Tip the mixture into a baking dish. Roll out the pastry to cover the top. Glaze the pastry with the beaten egg, before making small vent holes with a fork.
- Bakes for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.