This Privacy & Security policy addresses the following:
- What sort of personal information do we collect?
- How do we collect your personal information?
- How do we use your personal information?
- What happens if we aren't able to collect personal information?
- Protecting your personal information
- Disclosing your personal information
- Accessing your personal information
- Internet use
At Kings Plant Barn we value our customers and we are committed to protecting your privacy.
We recognise that your personal information is confidential and that it is important for you to know how we handle, gather, store and use your personal information.
We take your data very seriously and only want to use it to make your shopping experience at Kings Plant Barn online or in our stores as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Under the law, your rights to privacy are also protected. Privacy laws place strict requirements on us to treat certain information collected as confidential, to store information securely and to allow you easy access to check and correct your information.
We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others.
If you would rather not receive any marketing emails from us, you may opt out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send to you.
What sort of personal information do we collect?
Within this policy, “Personal Information” means the same as it does within the Privacy Act 1993.
In general terms, this includes any information that can be used to personally identify you. This may include (but is not limited to) your name, age, gender, address, contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses), company name (if applicable), billing/delivery address, orders, receipts, enquiry or complaint details and possibly financial information, including your payment information. If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, then the information is considered personal information. We may require this information to be able to provide you with goods or services.
Other types of information we may collect -
- Details of your shopping preferences, for example, which of our shops you prefer to visit and where you redeem your vouchers.
- Details of your visits to our websites and which site you came from to ours.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
- If you are a candidate for employment, we may collect other information as further set out in our application forms or during the recruitment process. This may include information relating to your employment history, working eligibility rights, suitability for the role you are applying for, and your referee details.
How do we collect your personal information?
We do this in a variety of ways, including through:
- When you sign up to the Kings Garden Club
- Your access and use of our website and communications, including your registration details and information relating to your use of the website and the services, such as the content you access (for example, the products you have viewed, or the search queries you input)
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you engage with us on social media
- When you enter prize draws or competitions
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in-store.
- When you visit our stores which usually have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and staff. These systems may record your image during your visit.
How do we use your personal information?
We collect and use your personal information to provide, administer, improve and personalise your experience with Kings Plant Barn, to send you marketing communications and information about products and services that we consider may be of interest to you, to run competitions, conduct surveys, process payments and refunds, maintain and update our records, or verify your identity. We may not be able to do these things without your personal information, such as deliver your online orders or respond to your enquiries.
We will only use personal information about you for the following reasons:
- To create an online account for you.
- To record and process your orders.
- To add to our database so we may inform you of specials, promotions, offers and events via email or post.
- To identify your Club membership in-store
- To improve the products and services we offer through this site.
- To respond to your queries.
- Any other reasons which we may notify at the time the information is collected.
If you are a candidate for employment, we collect information to assess your suitability for a position within our business and for other purposes such as contacting referees and performing background checks.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing unless expressly authorised by you, however we do use other companies and individuals to assist us with payment, point of sale, marketing, data processing, IT, archival, auditing, accounting, customer contact, legal, business consulting, banking, delivery, data analysis, document management, research, investigation, insurance, website and other services. These companies are not authorised to use your personal information for any other purposes.
We will not hold your personal information for longer than is required for the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
We’ll only ask for and use your personal data collected for recommending items of interest and to tailor your shopping experience with us, and it’s always your choice whether you share such details with us.
We monitor customer traffic patterns and site usage to help us develop the design and layout of the site. Any information automatically retrieved, such as site browsing patterns, will be used only in aggregate form (so that no individual visitors are identified). If you have signed in to the Kings Garden Club we can identify that is you on that visit and on subsequent visits to our site.
What happens if we aren't able to collect personal information?
If you choose not to provide us with the personal information described within this policy, then:
- We may not be able to provide you with the product or services you have requested, either to the same standard or at all.
- We may not be able to provide you with information about products or services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions.
- We may not be able to tailor our content, website and communications for your preferences.
Protecting your personal information
As required by the Privacy Act 1993, we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given us to prevent unauthorised access. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
Kings Plant Barn takes website and credit card security extremely seriously and we utilise a variety of sophisticated security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information that we hold and protect it from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access or modification.
We use the industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol and our servers encrypt (scramble) everything that you enter into your computer, such as credit card details and billing and delivery addresses. Because it is encrypted, other computers are unable to make sense of it, thereby keeping this information private.
All user contact information is contained behind a firewall and only accessible by a limited number of employees who have special access rights. As an added safeguard, Kings Plant Barn does not store credit card information.
There are visual clues on screen that tell you when you have entered a secure environment: in the address bar at the top of your browser, the key or padlock icon, which is normally broken, becomes solid and the address of the document you are accessing begins with https:// (secure hypertext transfer protocol). Google has recently decided to mark websites without https as 'Not Secure'
If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please let us know immediately.
Please note that whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal data that you provide to us, no transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed secure. Consequently, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the internet to us.
If you are using a computer or terminal in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session for your security. In addition, we recommend that you take the following security measures to enhance your online safety:
- Keep your account passwords private. Remember, anybody who knows your password may access your account.
- When creating a password, use at least 8 characters. A combination of letters and numbers is best.
- We also recommend that you frequently change your password. You can do this by going to ‘My Account’ and clicking ‘Change your password’.
Disclosing your personal information
Kings Plant Barn does not sell, trade or rent your personal information to others. Kings Plant Barn may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personally identifying information.
Kings Plant Barn complies fully with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. We will not share, sell, rent, swap or authorise any third party to use your email address without your permission.
If you feel you have received an email from us in error, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and emails, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments and providing customer services. Such companies and individuals will have access to personal information needed to perform these functions, but may not use it for any other purposes and are required to process the data in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
Beyond the above, we release personal information only when it is permitted under the Privacy Act or required by law for legal compliance and law enforcement (including to government agencies with statutory law enforcement responsibilities, and/or to your Internet Service Provider or network administrator); to facilitate court proceedings; enforce or apply our terms and conditions; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Kings Plant Barn, our users, or others, and where we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary. Government agencies with statutory roles enabling them to request data from us include but are not restricted to the Police, Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
Accessing your personal information
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us at email@example.com or 09 869 8806. Your request will be processed in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
If you make an access request, we will ask you to verify your identity. There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others, or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, in most circumstances we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment and will not charge for making any amendments. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it. Registered users of our websites can access and update their user details online. We request that you keep your information as current as possible so that we may continue to improve our service to you.
If you no longer wish to be a member of Kings Garden Club please let us know so we can delete your membership. This will not remove all of the data that we have for you as historical data will still exist.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.