Lemon and Raspberry Scones
16 May, 2021
200g Fresh Raspberries
¾ cup Sugar, divided into 3
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 2 Lemons
2 cups Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
100g Cold Butter, cubed
1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
1⁄2 cup Cream, plus extra for brushing
¾ cup Icing Sugar
- In a small bowl, combine raspberries, first measure of sugar and lemon juice. Mix gently and leave for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and preheat oven to 185 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine lemon zest with flour, second measure of sugar, baking powder and salt. Using your hands, work butter into flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Drain raspberries, reserving the juices. Add drained raspberries to flour mixture and toss to coat. Make a well in the centre, and add cream and egg.
- Mix with a fork until just combined and turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Dough should be quite sticky, but able to hold its shape. Form dough into a 20cm circle and cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges evenly spaced on baking tray, brush with cream, and sprinkle over remaining measure of sugar. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- To make glaze, place icing sugar in a small bowl and add in the reserved juices, a teaspoon at a time, until you have a gooey consistency. Drizzle over scones and serve while they're still warm.