Spiced Pumpkin Jam
03 Oct, 2021
Use any soft-fleshed squash or pumpkin to make this pretty coloured preserve that's delicious on scones, toast or in jam roly-poly puddings. Firmer-fleshed winter keepers such as ‘Whangaparaoa Crown’ and ‘Queensland Blue’ can also be used, though they will take more simmering to soften sufficiently.
1kg pumpkin salt
juice & zest of 3 lemons
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Peel and chop pumpkin into small cubes.
- Place in a large pot with just enough water to cover.
- Add salt and simmer, covered, until tender. Do not drain.
- Use a stick blender to puree the cooked pumpkin.
- Add sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice, and spices.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then turn up the heat and simmer for 35 mins, or until thickened.
- Stir more frequently towards the end of the cooking time.
- Pour into jars and seal.