29 Sep, 2021
Herb Oil (optional)
1 big handful Italian Parsley or Basil, or a mix
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tbsp Olive Oil or Butter
1 Leek, green part roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
2 cups Arborio or Carnoroli Rice
1 ½ cups White Wine
7 cups hot stock of choice (vegetable or chicken works well)
salt and pepper to taste
15 lengths Asparagus
2 cups Peas(fresh or defrosted frozen), pureed
1 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra to garnish
zest and juice of 1 Lemon
- If making the Herb Oil, mix Herbs, Oil and Salt and Pepper in a blender until you have a flavoured Oil consistency. Put aside until ready to serve.
- Heat oil or butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add Leek and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
- Add Garlic and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Do not let it brown.
- Add rice and stir to coat in oil or butter. Cook for 1–2 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add Wine, stir and cook until liquid has evaporated. Add Stock and Salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Turn the temperature down to medium-low and simmer gently, stirring often, until rice is creamy and tender, for 20 minutes (it should still have a little al dente ‘bite’).
- If the mixture looks dry while cooking, add a little more stock or water. Consistency should be creamy and slightly saucy.
- While Risotto is cooking, chop green tips off the Asparagus, and then finely slice lengths into rounds.
- Add tips and rounds to Risotto near the end of cooking time and stir to combine and lightly cook.
- When Risotto is cooked, add pureed Peas, Parmesan and Lemon zest and juice, reserving some zest for garnish.
- Stir to combine. Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Divide Risotto among bowls and drizzle with herb oil, if using, and sprinkle with extra Parmesan and lemon zest.