31 Mar, 2021
Plums are a delicious treat, and home growers will know how generous a healthy tree can be! The plum season has just come to an end, and you may have a collection of plums in your fridge or freezer – what better way to use them than homemade plum sauce. Plum sauce can be used with meat, gourmet sausages, to add flavour to stews or even as a pizza base – perfect with venison salami, blue cheese and walnuts.
500g plums, chopped
1 brown onion, diced
½ cup water
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup red wine vinegar
4 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 star anise
½ tsp five spice
55ml soy sauce
- Put all ingredients into a saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes, until ingredients have softened and become thick. Stir occasionally. Add a little extra water if sauce become too thick. If there are still large chunks you can mash ingredients slightly, just be careful of hot splashes.
- Warm sterilised jar by running hot water over the outside (not inside).
- Pour into jar while still hot. Set aside with oven mitts, as the glass will be very hot.
- Once cool, store in fridge.
How to sterilise glass jars or bottles at home
- Make sure they are clean by washing in hot soapy water, then rinse and drain.
- Place on oven racks and heat at 120 C for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and leave until they are cool, then safely remove and use.
- Sterilise metal lids in boiling water for 5 minutes.