09 Sep, 2021
225g green ginger, grated
100g garlic cloves peeled and chopped finely
50g green chillies, sliced in half, seeds removed
2 1⁄2 cups malt vinegar
1⁄2 cup oil
2 tbsp turmeric
5 tbsp ground cumin
5 tbsp mustard seeds ground to a powder
2 kg tomatoes chopped
2 cups sugar
1 1⁄2 tbsp salt
- Puree the ginger, garlic and chillies with enough vinegar to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the ground spices and fry until they exude a fragrant aroma. Add the pureed paste tomatoes, the rest of the vinegar, sugar and half of the salt. (Check near the end of cooking to see if more is required).
- Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil floats to the top, this normally takes around 30-45 minutes.
- Bottle into sterilised jars while hot. If need be, add a thin film of hot oil on the top of each jar to prevent the top from drying out. Cover with screw top sea,l lids and store in a cool, dry place.